Monday, February 18, 2013

Healthy Recipees and Ideas This Week

Healthy Recipe's and Ideas: What I've Been Eating This Week

Breakfast: whole grain fiber bread (trader joes) with all natural raspberry jam.. side of sliced bananas with blueberry flaxseed, and egg whites cooked on a skillet with minced garlic, chopped green onion, diced red bell pepper, mushroom, chopped spinach, red pepper flakes, trader joe's three cheese blend, salt & pepper.  If you don't eat cheese you can use vegan cheese from Mother's market they have some good options. I had this with a small glass of orange juice mixed with grapefruit juice


Lunch: Yummy lunch wrap.. Whole wheat middle Eastern flatbread (trader joe's), tzatziki garlic cucumber sauce, tabbouleh, grilled chicken breast, sliced tomato, arugula, lemon and salt and pepper to taste.. good with a side of edamame hummus (trader joe's)

Lunch or Snack: Quinoa, lemon juice ( 1 lemon squeezed), salt and pepper, diced cucumber, diced tomato, minced garlic, and mediterranean herb feta cheese (trader joe's make a great one). With a side of Middle Eastern Flatbread (or you can use pita). My hubby and I had this for lunch, we also had a side of edamame hummus. So delicious!

 QUICK DINNER, also craving fries so here it goes: Semi healthy.. Trader Joe's sweet potato fries, baked them in the oven (sprinkle with salt or if you want something sweet you can put cinnamon and sugar or honey on them) I had them with ketchup.  I used the frozen Asparagus Risotto from tj's and mixed in Sun-Dried Tomato with Mozerella Cheese smoked chicken sausage from tj's and through in some sauteed mushrooms to add in more veggies.  You could add in onion (green or yellow and brocoli if you want). I was aiming for a quick meal after work ( Being pregnant I get so hungry now that I have to eat right when the baby gives me the signal that my tummy is empty.. so sometimes frozen food as long as their arent preservatives, is the way I have to go.. HEY, its better than take out!). I sauteed the sausage seperately and then added it into the risotto. Took me 10-15 mins. Really simple! AND SO DELICIOUS! This would have been good with a side salad but the fries were calling my name. (:

Dinner: Grilled Chicken Breast cooked in Thyme, Rosemary, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, EVOO, Lemon, Onion, and Green Onion.  Side of cauliflower mashed potatoes.. steam cauliflower until almost fully cooked, smash and add in milk and 1-2 tablespoons of light sour cream, add minced garlic (to your liking) and salt and pepper with olive oil butter.. you can use coconut oil as well if you'd like.  We also had a side of butternut squash (sauteed in a skillet with 1 tablespoon agave or honey and cinnamon, add EVOO so they don't stick to the pan..cover and simmer until soft).

Dinner: Grilled Cheese sandwiches with Amy's Organic Tomato Bisque (my favorite tomato soup.. the best flavor and consistency I have found so far..aside from nordys).  In a skillet cook 2 peices of fiber whole grain bread with EVOO, layer on cheese, I used yogurt pepper jack cheese (any type.. you could do goat cheese, gorganzola, pepper jack, cheddar etc its up to you), add spinach (it will cook as everything melts together, and sliced tomato with salt & pepper and pepper flakes for spice. So delicious, just wish we had some fresh basil!

Dinner: Chicken, veggies and cheese enchiladas....Shredded grilled chicken breast (you can use rotisserie chicken to be quick), chop up some cilantro, dice tomato, green chilis (canned), onion, and green bell pepper. I used whole wheat tortillas and 3 cheese blend from trader joe's. Purchase any green or red enchilada sauce you like or make your own. I used green enchilada sauce by Las Palmas (la victoria is good too). Get a caserole dish, heat the oven to 425 on bake, take 1 tortilla (soft taco size..medium) put 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic on the middle of the torilla, add 1 spoonful of green enchilada sauce to the center, add in chicken, then layer in all the veggies on top with a tiny bit of cheese. Fold and place with the fold toward the bottom of the caserole dish so it stays closed while it cooks.  Add in 4-5 more and once all of them are in the casserole dish add on top more of the green enchilada sauce until its covered but not drenched. Add on cheese to your liking (i use a mexican blend of 3 cheeses from tj's) and then if you have any other veggies left over sprinkle them on top. Cook for 40-45 minutes depending on how many you are making. Good until the cheese is brown and golden on top.  You can add chili powder in the chicken if you want an extra kick. I love these with a lemon cabbage arugula side salad YUM! And a dollop of light sour cream or greek yogurt if you want to be extra healthy.  

Note: you can add in any veggies you like. I'd recommend green onions and red bell pepper or jalepenos as well as what i have above.  I just used what we had in the kitchen already. One day I will have a garden I pull from...hopefully...still dreaming (:   Ask your hubbys or kids to help chop and it goes by so much quicker!


Enjoy! Share your recipe's here! I'd love your suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment